Tuesday, August 4, 2009

...WHAT YEAR IS THIS AGAIN?



Today's the official release of the putatively light, fun, and (relatively) clear-cut new novel by Thomas Pynchon, with whom I'm fascinated. I'd be more outwardly enthusiastic about this if early word on it didn't suggest that it's the literary equivalent of an hors d'Ĺ“uvre from a man literati expect to deliver a feast each time. I'm not nearly well-read enough to consider myself even a fledging member of the literati, yet I've read and enjoyed enough Pynchon to have similar expectations of him. Nevertheless there's something kinda cool about the idea of a Pynchon anybody can pick up and read.

Even cooler is that on the Penguin page, there's a video featuring what appears to be an early and pretty funny passage from the book being read by somebody who sounds suspiciously like Pynchon, if his Simpsons appearances are anything to go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment